Throughout future posts, I will present new ways to introduce gratitude into your daily life. I have found variety is the best way to do this as it keeps you thinking, you do not fall into a rut, and you avoid having to forgive yourself when you forget to journal for that one day.
What I am focusing on today is turning around negative thoughts. When I have a negative thought the easiest way for me to snap it around to the positive is to go on, what I call, a Grat-i-tude Flow. Let me give you an example.
I was talking to my mom one day and I told her, “argh my stupid trunk doesn’t open, I can feel that it doesn’t latch onto anything when I pull the handle.” I already knew how much it was going to cost, because this also happened to my husband’s car door and I did not want to spend that money. How irritating. Then I said, well I am grateful I have a car to begin with. Then she said, and your car has four tires in good condition, and we just kept going:
- And I have a fantastic job that affords me the luxury of buying gas for my car without checking my bank account balance first
- And I do not really ever use my trunk
- And my car still turns on without fail and without weird noises every morning
- And my radio still works (more important than a trunk any day ;) )
By the time we were done my stuck trunk was not a worry on mind. Here I am months later and my trunk doesn’t open. Do you know how many times I have needed to get in my trunk and haven’t been able to? Zero! Do you know how much I fret about it now? Zero!
You do not need to do this with just physical things that are irritating you; you can do it with anything. Did you just have a negative thought that your thighs are too big? Go on a flow … are you grateful that your large thighs get you from point A to point B without fail? Are they covered in beautiful skin? Do you have a healthy heart pumping life-giving blood to them? Do you have healthy lungs that allow you to take deep fulfilling breaths that invigorate your blood with oxygen? Do you have a killer pair of pants or a fabulous skirt to cover up what you consider big thighs? Are you grateful you are working out or taking extra steps everyday to help you slim down?
Do you see how easy it is to just keep going? Try it this week. The next time you have a negative thought:
1. Recognize the negative thought.
2. Think of the first related item you are grateful for.
3. Flow … By the time you get to your last grateful item it doesn’t even have to be related to where you started, just start flowing. Anytime you are being grateful it’s a good thing!
After you try it, share your experience with me in the comments section below.
Today I am Grateful for:
- Nature and in particular this flower staring me in the face as I write this
- My Erin Condren planner, keeps me beautifully organized (ErinCondren.com)
- My octagon coffee table that is just really unique and special
- Paid my bills without fail, the world is abundant!
- Putting some final touches on our lovely home
- My fantastic husband who is always putting me first
- My lovely family who I love incredibly